Underwater Exit HDD
- DFS was contacted by a contractor for a unique HDD project outside Toronto on Toronto Island. The contractor had already attempted the project 4 times, and had another companies drilling fluids engineer onsite. Having decided to give the project one last attempt, they called another service company to approach it from a different angle.
- The project involved a underwater exit 1,000 meters into Lake Ontario, where the 16" pipe was sitting on the lake bed, to be pulled back to the island for energy reclamation for the cities power grid.
- Based on geotechnical reports, DFS built a mud program that was appropriate for the project.
- Under the circumstances, 2 different brands of mud products were used.
- Project was completed in 10 days from start to finish successfully.